Welcome!

Welcome to CWOSSABasketball.com, Central-Western Ontario's #1 source for High School Hoops news! Any questions, comments, information or media and advertising requests can be sent to markyolkowski@gmail.com. Enjoy!

Tri-City Junior Phenom Camp (Co-Ed, Grade 4-10) - Summer, 2019!

Click the Link for Info & Registration Details!

CWOSSABasketball.com Archives Search

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Brantford Expositor: From Brantford to the Phillippines for JR Gallarza

Article By:  Darryl G. Smart, Expositor Staff

J.R. Gallarza didn't take a conventional path for a Brantford high school graduate.

Now, the 20-year-old is trying to help the University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons basketball team win games.

Gallarza, a basketball standout with the St. John's College Green Eagles, has been living in the Philippines for the past two years. He started his university rookie basketball season just last month.

"The game is really different out here when you're on the court," he said.

"I've been playing organized basketball at Brantford CYO since I was four, but sometimes I feel like I just picked up a basketball a year ago."

He said that basketball in the Philippines involves a "bit less athleticism but a lot more running."

"What they lack in getting to the rim for a dunk, they make up for in quick-paced euro-style and sidesteps to the basket. The transition game here is also at a higher level than in Canada."

Gallarza said he's gradually getting used to the differences in basketball in the Philippines.

"It's something hard to explain, but adapting on the court for us really takes a lot more of the mental aspect."

Gallarza said that he is working to maintain his confidence and focus.

Because he didn't go to high school in the Philippines, he was forced to two years of residency in the country before stepping on the basketball court for a university team.

Gallarza said he used the past two years to prepare to play basketball; the rookie has split time between guard and forward.

"I expect to really use this season as a stepping stone to add to my basketball experience and make the most of every training day and all the opportunities coach gives me," Gallarza said.

"We have eight graduating veterans after this season, so I believe with that alone the team is going to be fighting harder than ever to end this season on a high note. And, hopefully, we get the school back on a winning track."

In 2007-08, when he was in Grade 11, Gallarza was asked to join a Filipino-Canadian basketball team in the Toronto area that flew to the Philippines to tour campuses and play games.

"We were called Pinoy Canadian Prospects, or PCP, for short," Gallarza said.

The team played about 30 games in 31 days, which gave coaches, athletic directors and scouts time to talk to the players.

"Just like any young basketball player growing up, I had dreams of playing in the big leagues," Gallarza said.
"Those dreams turn into reality of first playing at the level after high school. So, yeah, I always wanted to play basketball after SJC. I just didn't know where."

Gallarza decided to attend De La Salle University in Manila after high school graduation.

"Having the PCP tour under my belt really helped a lot in my decision, and having DLSU still it talks with my parents after a year and a half trying to recruit me really influenced me to take the flight to the Philippines," he said.

A year later, he transferred to the University of the Philippines, also in Manila.

Despite some ups and downs, Gallarza said he would change nothing about is post-secondary journey.
"Overall, I'm really enjoying my experience," he said.

"It's a totally different environment and lifestyle than it is in Canada. Adapting has been surprisingly easy for me, though, probably because I can understand and partially speak the language. The ones I feel for are the non-Filipino imports - players from all over the world doing the same thing as me but without the knowledge of the Philippines and lack the Filipino language."

He said that it also helped that his mother, Linda, travelled to the Philippines to help him make the transition for the first month.

"My parents have been amazing," Gallarza said.

"I've had a great support system and I couldn't have done this without them."

Retrieved From:  http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2012/08/13/from-sjc-to-the-philippines-for-jr