Welcome!

Welcome to CWOSSABasketball.com, Central-Western Ontario's #1 source for High School Hoops news! Any questions, comments, information or media and advertising requests can be sent to markyolkowski@gmail.com. Enjoy!

Tri-City Junior Phenom Camp (Co-Ed, Grade 4-10) - Summer, 2019!

Click the Link for Info & Registration Details!

CWOSSABasketball.com Archives Search

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Guelph Mercury: Jaspers-Fayer Thrives With Capers

Article By:  Rob Massey, Mercury Staff

GUELPH — Local basketball fans could be excused for thinking they’d gone back in time Sunday afternoon at the Mitchell Athletics Centre.


It was almost like a flashback to District 10 high school basketball of five or six years ago as Scott Jaspers-Fayer of the Cape Breton Capers and Kevin Cameron of the Guelph Gryphons battled for position under the basket. Throw in Guelph CVI Green Gaels and Centre Wellington Falcons uniforms and the flashback would be complete.

“It was almost like I was back in a District 10 all-star game,” Jaspers-Fayer said. “I like to compete against guys who I know and who I see have been successful like I have. It’s hard to succeed as a university athlete, academically and athletically. Kudos to them.”

The game was the second one for Jaspers-Fayer in Guelph since he went to Cape Breton. He’s now in his fifth season with the Capers.

“I’d been looking forward to this game ever since I found out we were coming here this summer,” he said. “It’s special to come home and especially to play in front of friends and family that can’t come and see you play on the other side of the country.”

The game against the Gryphons was a physical one for Jaspers-Fayer as he went elbow-to-elbow with Cameron and other members of the host squad.

“That’s typical,” Jaspers-Fayer said. “The AUS (Atlantic University Sport) is known as being a physical league. The refs let a little more go so you have to adjust when you come down here because they start calling things a little bit closer. That’s nothing wrong with the referees, that’s just the way it is and you have to get used to it. I’m used to that — that’s why I wear the mouthguard.”

He hit for 24 points in Cape Breton’s 101-99 win in overtime. He also had a game-high nine rebounds and two blocks.

Jaspers-Fayer had scored a total of 747 points in his previous four seasons. Last season, the 6-foot-6 forward averaged 11.2 points per game and pulled down 106 rebounds.

“I haven’t been playing poorly, but I’m just really trying to improve my conditioning. Because we’re not as deep this year, I’m probably going to have to go from about 25 to 30 minutes up to 35 minutes a game. That makes a big difference.”

He played a game-high 40 minutes Sunday. However, he started his season watching from the sidelines after spraining an ankle in Guelph during the summer.

“I was just playing a pickup game, trying to work on conditioning, work on my game, and I just landed on someone’s foot.”

His academics have been on par with his athletics.

“I’ve been an academic all-Canadian twice and I’m hoping to be this year. I finished my honours degree in chemistry this year. I’ve got a busy year with my thesis right now.”

After his basketball career at CBU is over, Jaspers-Fayer is contemplating joining the team as an assistant coach as he pursues his bachelor of education.

And he has had no regrets choosing CBU after being one of the top high school players in the country.

“No offence to anybody, I’m thankful for all the coaches who recruited me — (Gryphon coach) Chris (O’Rourke) and all the other coaches throughout the country. It feels like a second home to me out there. Everyone in that community just really makes you feel at home and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome.”

Retrieved From:  http://news.guelphmercury.com/Sports/article/705775

No comments:

Post a Comment