Welcome!

Welcome to CWOSSABasketball.com, Central-Western Ontario's #1 source for High School Hoops news! Any questions, comments, information or media and advertising requests can be sent to markyolkowski@gmail.com. Enjoy!

Tri-City Junior Phenom Camp (Co-Ed, Grade 4-10) - Summer, 2019!

Click the Link for Info & Registration Details!

CWOSSABasketball.com Archives Search

Monday, February 13, 2012

D10: Monday Quarterfinal Matchups

The quarterfinals in the D10 league get underway today, with semifinals on Wednesday and the championship finals on Friday (in previous years, these have taken place on the Saturday).

So, let's review the QF matchups:

Senior

(1) JF Ross vs. (8) Guelph CVI
Season Series:  JFR 2-0 (74-39, 69-26)
The Royals should cruise into the semifinals today with a victory at home.  They can also officially clinch an "AAAA" CWOSSA berth should Bishop Mac (#5) be able to upend Centre Wellington (#4).

My Pick:  JF Ross by 35

(2) Lourdes vs. (7) Orangeville
Season Series:  OLOL 2-0 (71-44, 67-49)
Although Lourdes won both regular season games by comfortable margins, Orangeville is a team that can put up some points and make this game interesting (plus, they really have nothing to lose here).  That said, look for Mike Finoro and co. to move on to the semifinals one way or another.

My Pick:  Lourdes by 16

(3) Centennial vs. (6) St. James
Season Series:  CCVI 2-0 (52-31, 44-22)
The Lions will definitely have to do a lot better than their 26.5 PPG average during their 2 regular season games against the Spartans if they hope to advance through to the D10 semifinals here.  Of course, Centennial played some very good basketball down the stretch and were able to wind up in the favourable #3 playoff position --- which is potentially key for CWOSSA qualification purposes.

My Pick:  Centennial by 19

(4) Centre Wellington vs. (5) Bishop Mac
Season Series:  CWDHS 2-0 (64-35, 66-45)
The youthful Celtics have continued to make strides this season, but I don't think it's going to quite be enough to get past CW.  I expect a high-scoring affair here, with CW ahead at the end.

My Pick:  CWDHS by 13

Junior 

(1) JF Ross vs. (8) Orangeville
Season Series:  JFR 2-0 (57-15, 61-15)
The "1-8" D10 matchup is the NCAA equivalent of the "1-16" --- I can't recall any #8 seed ever upsetting a top ranked team, and I don't expect an upset here (ODSS scored only 15 points in both meetings this season).

My Pick:  JFR by 42

(2) St. James vs. (7) Guelph CVI
Season Series:  STJ 2-0 (51-31, 44-33)
The GCVI Gaels made some strides this year, but the D10 league is very deep top to bottom.  The winner of this game puts themselves in the driver's seat to advance to CWOSSA, and I look for that team to be the St. James Lions.

My Pick:  STJ by 18

(3) CWDHS vs. (6) Bishop Mac
Season Series:  Tied 1-1 (CW 53-49, BM 68-53)
The BMac Celtics are always going to be a tough out with super scorer Michael Ganson and the equally effective Adam MacEachern.  Though CW dropped their most recent meeting, I think they'll be comfortable at home and I look for them to sneak out a win here.

My Pick:  CWDHS by 5

(4) Centennial vs. (5) Lourdes
Season Series:  1-1 (CCVI 45-40, OLOL 60-40)
I was impressed with Lourdes in seeing them over the weekend, and I guess I'll have to "go against the grain" and pick one lower seed.  So, OLOL it is in a squeaker.

My Pick:  OLOL by 5     

No comments:

Post a Comment