Welcome!

Welcome to CWOSSABasketball.com, Central-Western Ontario's #1 source for High School Hoops news! Any questions, comments, information or media and advertising requests can be sent to markyolkowski@gmail.com. Enjoy!

Tri-City Junior Phenom Camp (Co-Ed, Grade 4-10) - Summer, 2019!

Click the Link for Info & Registration Details!

CWOSSABasketball.com Archives Search

Thursday, October 25, 2012

WCSSAA Thursday: Crusaders, Hawks To Battle in Cambridge

YTD:  75-5 (.938)

Crunch time in WCSSAA with only two dates remaining on the schedule.

Obviously, a couple of very important games here today, and I'll start off with my game of the day --- a battle between two 9-1 clubs, Waterloo-Oxford and Jacob Hespeler (3:30pm, JHSS).

Great match-up there that features two contrasting styles.  The Crusaders like to get the ball up in transition (and in space), where guards Maddy Horst and Becca Payne excel.  The Hawks, meanwhile, would prefer a calmer tempo to this one due to their solid execution in their half-court sets --- as well as the ability to get their tall front-line some opportunities in the post.

This game could certainly go either way, and it will be interesting to see if W-O can bounce back after being beaten soundly by WCI on Tuesday.  This is their third "big game" in a week (Bluevale last Thursday, WCI Tuesday, now Jacob Hespeler).  I'll stick to my rankings and go with the 'Saders by a Maddy Horst three-ball (WODSS by 3).

Now, the rest of the action:

SJAM (2-8) at Glenview Park (0-10)
My Pick:  SJAM by 13
A 'Landers win here would help them get back on track in the hunt for the final playoff berth after slipping up against Eastwood on Tuesday.  I think they'll get it done here.

Eastwood (1-9) at Galt (1-9)
My Pick:  ECI by 2
Going with the Rebels on a bit of a flyer here; complete toss-up in my opinion but I think the Rebs are playing the better basketball as of late.

Huron Heights (1-9) at WCI (10-0)
My Pick:  WCI by 45
Hopefully the WCI Vikings take it easy on the Huskies today.

Southwood (7-3) at Forest Heights (5-5)
My Pick:  SSS by 9
The Sabres got a scare from KCI the other day, but I still look for them to go 2-0 on the week against the reeling FHCI Trojans.

KCI (6-4) at Bluevale (8-2)
My Pick:  BCI by 16
The Knights need a win here to keep their hopes alive for one of the top 4 seeds --- and a home quarterfinal game.  I'll take them to win, but the Raiders have been up and down lately so I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep it close.

Grand River (4-6) at Preston (3-7)
My Pick:  GRCI by 6
The winner of this game has a good chance of moving up the standings --- which isn't necessarily a good thing.  The potential prize if one of these teams finishes 8th or 9th?  A date with the WCI Vikings in the quarterfinals.  Still, too early to be figuring out potential playoff positioning and too many variables still at play so I'll go with GRCI in a close one.

Cameron Heights (8-2) at Elmira (5-5)
My Pick:  CHCI by 16
After a slow start, the Lancers have come on as of late, and could certainly use a win here as they try to get past KCI for an "AAA" CWOSSA berth.  It'll be tough to do against the CHCI Gaels, however.